Africa Program Manager
Position Title: Africa Program Manager
Position Type: Full-time
Compensation: Salary commensurate with earning history and level of responsibility
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Compatible Technology International (CTI) is a US-based non-profit whose mission is to equip smallholder farmers in Africa with innovative tools and training to harvest and process food crops to nourish their families, bring their products to market, and rise above hunger and poverty. To achieve this mission, CTI designs and develops simple, affordable post-harvest technologies and solutions for smallholder farmers, especially African women (see www.compatibletechnology.org for more details). CTI currently has two programs with staff in Africa: its flagship program in Senegal, and its program in Malawi. Recently, CTI was awarded a four-year, $2.2 million Cooperative Agreement from USAID/Dakar to implement a “Post-Harvest Program to Enhance Competitiveness of the Pearl Millet Value Chain in Senegal.” The goal is to help build economically sustainable millet threshing equipment supply and millet value chains in Senegal that generate revenues and create assets for smallholders, especially women. In Malawi, CTI also has a smaller, grant-funded program with support from the McKnight Foundation and the CHF Foundation to develop post-harvest peanut/groundnut technologies for smallholders in Malawi.
CTI is recruiting an Africa Program Manager, who will be based in Minnesota and report to the Executive Director, to oversee management of the Senegal project as well as provide other project management and grant-writing and reporting for Malawi, and to scope new growth for CTI in Africa. This is a leadership position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Program Manager will be responsible for overall leadership, management, support and oversight of the USAID-funded Project in Senegal in close coordination with CTI’s Country Director who will be responsible for day-to-day in-country management of project implementation.
- The Program Manager will also be responsible for oversight and leadership of project-based activities in Malawi.
- This person will also take a leadership role in researching and pursuing new business opportunities for CTI in Africa.
- Communicate, coordinate and work closely with the Project Country Director (PCD) and USAID/Senegal in a collaborative mode to ensure that the Project is implemented effectively and in compliance with USAID regulations, that necessary approvals by USAID are obtained in timely fashion, and that the Project meets or exceeds its objectives under budget.
- Lead and coordinate preparation and timely submission of the Project’s Annual Implementation Plans and associated budgets, Quarterly Performance Reports, and other project documents
- Manage the sub-contract with the M&E partner (The Improve Group) to ensure timely preparation, submission and effective implementation of the Project’s Activity Monitoring & Evaluation Plan
- Oversee management of procurement processes and procedures, according to USAID regulations Assist and support the PCD in recruiting and selecting in-country Project staff, and in securing appropriate Project office space (Dakar and Kaolack)
- Assist and support the PCD in recruiting and selecting in-country Project staff, and in securing appropriate Project office space (Dakar and Kaolack)
- Assist in providing oversight of the accounting of project expenditures by CTI and preparation by the Financial Manager of CTI’s financial reports as required by USAID
- Prepare Statements of Work, in conjunction with the PCD, for all CTI-supported project travel to Senegal by CTI staff, consultants and volunteers; provide pre-departure orientation to all travelers; and ensure timely preparation of concise trip reports by all travelers that include key findings, conclusions, recommendations and follow-up action
- Coordinate and ensure regular and effective ongoing communications between CTI and implementing partners, Resource Organizations and other stakeholders
- Organize regular (at least monthly) conference calls with the CTI team, and partners as needed, to check progress on planning and completing activities and tasks, and to address any issues that impede project progress
- Communicate, coordinate and supervise the PCD in Malawi assisting to meet project deliverables in a timely manner and to establish a stronger regional presence
- Support the PCD in managing and reporting on existing grants that support Malawi
- Assist in identifying and securing new projects and funding to advance CTI’s mission in the region
- Provide project management advice
- Perform other duties as needed
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Masters’ degree or equivalent work experience in international development, agriculture, business administration, project management or related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience and demonstrated understanding of agricultural, rural and community development issues, constraints and challenges in developing countries, especially Africa
- Experience with USAID programs and knowledge of USAID’s rules and regulations required; candidates with a working knowledge of USG ADS 303 preferred
- Demonstrated experience and skill in managing international development projects
- Experience working in Africa strongly desired
- Demonstrated cross-cultural and gender-awareness skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and writing skills, and track record of working effectively in interdisciplinary teams
- Fluency in English required; functional French preferred
- Functional computer skills including use of standard MS office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as email communications and Internet searches
This position is based at CTI Headquarters in St. Paul, MN. However, international travel is required.
Candidates should email their CV, cover letter, and names and contact information of three references to email@example.com. Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews at the CTI HQ offices in St. Paul, MN. Salary will be commensurate with earning history and level of responsibility. CTI seeks to fill this position immediately.